Sunday, September 25, 2011

Feeling Amish

Each year I feel a little more and more Amish.  I know that sounds funny, but with waking up at 5am (courtesy of Marcelo), farmer Mario attending to our garden, and my attempting to cook more and more from scratch….it’s the best thing I have to compare how I feel right now.  Even better is that I like it.  =)

Some things in our garden aren’t growing as well as we would like…for instance the tomatoes grow…but don’t want to turn red.  But others seem to produce in very large quantities.  Like the squash and zucchini.  I’ve been blanching and freezing to no end!  Zucchini bread anyone?  Grilled Zucchini? Zucchini fries? How about Zucchini soup, or scrambled eggs mixed with shredded zucchini? 

Really though, our garden has been a huge blessing.  We’ve also got green beans, a couple varieties of lettuce, spinach, bell peppers, onions, and hubbard squash.  Any ideas of what to do with a hubbard squash?  They still have a been longer in the garden to grow…but starting to search our recipes now.  =)

We were also given some wonderful peaches from a family friend, and some apples from our neighbors, so I’ve been canning….and we now have jars of applesauce and peaches ready to eat in the winter!  And lots of wild blackberries too!  Like I said….I’m starting to feel Amish.

As I think about my boys, I think my favorite quote this week was Ethan talking to Marcelo.  We were in the car, and I could see them in the rear view mirror as Ethan leaned over to get a little closer to Marcelo.  Then he said, “Hey, Marcelo, when we grow up, let’s be friends.”  Marcelo’s response, “Ok.” Gotta love it!

Enjoy what little sunshine and good weather we might have left!  It was wonderful to have it return this past week!

Blessings!
Michelle

1 comment: